FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE, DISTRICT 48
I am a working mom of 6, a caretaker to my ailing grandparents, and I have spent my entire life doing what’s best for those around me. I understand doing what’s best for us means bringing good paying jobs to our community.
As a former healthcare worker, I know firsthand that people can’t afford to get sick. I understand doing what’s best for us means affordable healthcare so working families don’t have to choose between life-saving medication and paying for rent. And as a mother, doing what’s best for our children means teaching to a child’s potential not a test. Tallahassee is out of touch – it isn’t doing what’s best for us and it’s time we fix that.
That is why I am asking for your votes, your prayers, and your support.
More About Amy
I am of Puerto Rican descent and was born and raised in the Bronx, New York by Carmen L. Rodriguez-Torres, a New York City Police Department Officer, and Victor M. “Vic” Torres, a New York City Transit Police Detective.
I graduated from the Academy of Mt. St. Ursula in the Bronx, New York and continued my higher education as a non-traditional student while raising my children, caring for my ailing grandparents and working multiple jobs full-time.
In 2004, I graduated from American Intercontinental University with Cum Laude honors and received a Bachelor’s in Business Administration (BBA), with a concentration in Management. I am currently pursuing an Executive MBA from the Jack Welch Management Institute at Strayer University.
I relocated to Florida with my family in 1995 and have been Orange County residents since 1996. My husband Fred and I were married and united our blended family in 1997. Four of our six children are proud graduates of the Orange County Public School System.
I have a blended professional background; and have successfully leveraged my experience in healthcare, legal services, and agriculture to serve my community. For the last twelve years I have worked at the National Mango Board, and for the last seven years I have been the board’s Director of Operations.
Within the local community, I have built a strong reputation as a dependable and diplomatic community activist in several community organizations and grassroots efforts throughout the State of Florida. Below are a few areas/campaigns I have focused on:
- Field Manager for Tiffany Moore Russell for Orange County Clerk of Court
- Campaign Manager for Ricardo Rangel, House District 43
- Campaign Manager for Victor M. Torres, House District 48
- Florida Elector for President Barack Obama
- Former Chairwoman of the Orange County DEC
- Former President of the Orange County Democratic Hispanic Caucus
- Former Interim Secretary of the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement’s Central Florida Chapter
- Former Secretary of the Florida Council of the League of United Latin American Citizens
- Former Board Member of Planned Parenthood of Greater Orlando
- Former Democratic Candidate for Florida House District 35 vs. Speaker of Florida House Dean Cannon
- Society of Human Resource Management
- Greater Orlando Society for Human Resource Management
- Florida Voters League
- Former Member of the Hispanic Chamber of Metro Orlando